Archive | January 2007

Birthday sundries

Birthday has been a good one. I got not one, but two gadgets that allow me to listen to my iPod through the car radio. You should see the kitten cake that Julie (and Josh?) picked out for me. I’ll try to post a photo sometime.

Went to Bloomington Sunday evening — to Oriental Gourmet — for a dual-birthday meal with Dad. Tempura, sushi, sake and three chinese dishes equals mega-full. Mom and Dad also got me an awesome present: A membership to the Threadless 12 Month club.

Also Sunday, we played Ultimate in -7 degree wind chill (19 degrees) for two hours. Actually only 6 people came, so we played box. Matt (J.) had invited me to come up for a two-day hat tournament near him the same weekend, which would have been great, but I didn’t really have enough notice. I’m not sure how comfortable it would have been, too.

Julie and I have made it a month as vegetarians. Yesterday we went to the local vegan dinner potluck thingy, held at the organic food store a few blocks from our house. The food was good, and spicey.

Today I added a feature to the JJ-C Web site. Now one can submit a comment for Open Line via the site. Hehe.

On again?

troy

Sometime over the weekend the buyer realized that they weren’t getting the deposit back. We got a call on Sunday night, telling us that they’d like to find a way to close. Arrangements were made for a meeting this morning between the buyer, buyer’s realtor, buyer’s lender, buyer’s broker, us, our realtor, our broker in order to hash out any details and see if we could come to an agreement.

After about 2 hours we concluded that the reserve could be met by reducing the realtor’s commissions. In addition, we asked for 2 additional days after closing to vacate the home. That way we won’t move until the ink is dried, rather than repeating Friday’s shenanigans if we don’t close yet again.

The lender told us that once the signed paperwork reached him, he could let us know in about 2 days time if it was going to go forward or not. He said that with the additional funds, he thought that it had a very good chance.

Un-closing

troy

This week was a whirlwind of change. We were supposed to have the closing on our house this weekend, but things started getting rocky early in the week. We had received 2 offers on our house while we were vacationing in Illinois. We accepted the better of the two, the one that had a strong deposit and a pre-approval letter for her home loan. Everything seemed to be going well until Tuesday the week of closing. We received a call from our realtor, that the buyer needed a 2-week extension. We really didn’t want to, as at this point we already had our new apartment lined up and the moving of all our services scheduled … but in the end we decided that we would allow the 2-week extension if the buyer released her deposit to us. We figured that if she released the deposit, then she was sincere and the closing would still happen, albeit, 2 weeks later.

After the extension offer was made, the buyer decided she really didn’t need an extension, she wanted to move in right away, and the reason she asked for the extension was because the bank wanted her reserve to be “seasoned”. Apparently, the money she had on hand for the various closing costs was newly deposited in the bank. There was no record where the money came from, so the bank imposed a mandatory waiting period in order to verify that the money came from an allowable resource (i.e. not another loan or advancement). So they now requested for us to pay toward the closing costs.

The communication was always very poor from the buyer, and we were losing more and more trust with them. We were taking an overall loss on the sale, so we opted not to assist with the closing costs. Later this week, they indirectly asked for the extension again, an unannounced fax just showed up on our realtor’s machine one morning. Their version of the addendum stated just a date change, with no concessions. We created and presented an acceptable version of a 2-week extension addendum, which released the deposit to us, and requested an additional $500 to cover the deposit on the apartment that we would lose because of the date change.

The buyer never signed or returned the addendum, so the only thing we had to go on is the original contract, which had us closing the end of this week. However, since things were shaky, we decided not to sign the lease on the apartment until after the signing on the house was completed. Because of this, we had to change from having a moving company take our possessions to a new apartment to simply having a POD delivered and loaded with all of our stuff. The POD was loaded by noon and was scheduled to be picked up for storage the next day. We continued to wait for our closing in a now-empty house.

At this point, the buyer’s realtor continues to ignore calls from our realtor and her voicemail is so full we can’t leave any additional messages. Our realtor calls the title company where we are supposed to close and they explain they have heard from the buyer, but they are still waiting on the final paperwork. The title company explains that if they receive the paperwork they only need about 2 hours and then we could still have a closing today. Time continues to slip by. We finally get a call at 4:30, the buyer was not able move forward. Their reserve was not met, and they are in breach of contract.

Down to the final minute and with the last word received, we have an empty house and all of our stuff loaded into a POD scheduled to be picked up in the morning. We call an emergency gathering of friends and unload the POD into the garage.

Today Jantina and I spent the day unpacking all of our stuff back into its former place. Talk about a ton of work … we are exhausted.

Our realtor’s attorney informs us that not meeting the reserves on the day of closing is not a legitimate reason for canceling the contract, and that we should be entitled to the entire escrow deposit made by the buyer. Of course, that will be disputed and go into arbitration.. but if we do get that it should at least pay for the expenses we incurred as a direct result of the buyer and her realtor. ($300 POD, $350 movers, $500 apartment deposit, etc.). The buyer’s $2K escrow doesn’t really provide much consolation, but it will help.

Lincoln’s got things covered

Kelly pointed out this Lincoln news. A giant, $10,000 covered wagon with matching-scale fiberglass Abe Lincoln.

Mike, Kyle, David and Eric

The little window on the outside of my mobile phone cracked yesterday. I don’t recall any major impact, but it wasn’t there in the morning, then I noticed it around lunchtime.

Last night, The Skies We Built of Chicago played at Noir along with Scott Joseph Phares and Nick Rowe. They sounded great. Mike, Kyle, David and Eric, the four members of The Skies We Built, stayed with us last night. They were craving “The Big Lebowski,” so we watched a bit of that before bed. Bindi was a little crazed, as expected.

Ultimate rules

The Ultimate Players Association members ratified the new, 11th Edition of the Rules of Ultimate this week.

All UPA events for 2007 going forward will be using the 11th Edition Rules. The 11th Edition represents five years of experience, experimentation, and hard work by the Ultimate community and the UPA Standing Rules Committee to update and improve the 10th Edition.

Burgers shot

Another food picture. This time, eggplant burgers.